The Civil Aviation Authority reported these figures to the PA news agency, which analyzed the data across all departures from UK airports by airlines with more than 2,500 flights. The investigation found that the average delay was 23 minutes.
In response to the findings, CAA consumer director Paul Smith stated that the authority has requested stronger consumer enforcement powers, including the ability to impose fines on airlines. He also emphasized that airlines should provide timely support and assistance to passengers when flights are disrupted, as well as inform them of their rights.
Trade body Airlines UK said that punctuality is essential for customers and that last year’s delays were not representative due to the late unwinding of COVID restrictions. The sector has since invested significant resources into improving resilience for the upcoming summer season, according to the trade body.
However, Boland argued that the figures should come as no surprise to passengers who have faced “shoddy treatment” from airlines for years. He emphasized that the government must give the CAA effective powers to clamp down on poor airline behavior.
The CAA reported in December that Wizz Air was delaying refunds, and its passengers were more likely to escalate their complaints. The authority is currently working with the airline to improve outcomes for consumers.
Wizz Air has not yet commented on the findings.
- Wizz Air: 46 minutes and 6 seconds
- TUI: 40 minutes and 18 seconds
- Qatar Airways: 31 minutes and 48 seconds
- Turkish Airlines: 29 minutes and 30 seconds
- Pegasus Airlines: 27 minutes and 18 seconds
- Flybe: 26 minutes and 6 seconds
- Air Portugal: 25 minutes and 48 seconds
- Air Canada: 25 minutes and 18 seconds
- British Airways: 23 minutes
- Vueling: 22 minutes and 12 seconds
- Ryanair: 22 minutes
- Loganair: 22 minutes
- Jet2.com: 21 minutes and 42 seconds
- Air France: 21 minutes
- Swiss Airlines: 20 minutes and 48 seconds
- Emirates: 20 minutes and 36 seconds
- easyJet: 20 minutes and 24 seconds
- Lufthansa: 20 minutes
- Eurowings: 19 minutes and 24 seconds
- Virgin Atlantic: 19 minutes
- KLM: 18 minutes and 30 seconds
- Delta Airlines: 18 minutes and 18 seconds
- Aer Lingus: 18 minutes and 6 seconds
- Eastern Airways: 17 minutes and 30 seconds
- American Airlines: 16 minutes and 48 seconds
- Blue Islands: 16 minutes and 42 seconds
- Aurigny Air Services: 16 minutes and 30 seconds
- Iberia: 15 minutes and 36 seconds
- SAS: 14 minutes and 30 seconds
- United Airlines: 14 minutes and 6 seconds
- Norwegian Air Shuttle: 13 minutes and 42 seconds