India is coming out with new OTT guidelines. The central government has taken some strict measures and steps to keep a tight check on social media platforms and streaming devices.
Let us give our readers a breakdown of these new rules.
NEW OTT GUIDELINES
The Central Government is going to keep a check on social media platforms and streaming devices which means no content will be telecasted that may affect the sovereignty of India or may risk India’s national security.
Cabinet Ministers Ravi Shankar Prasad and Prakash Javadekar announced the guidelines. So, here is what you need to know.
- Social Media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc will have to appoint a grievance officer who will register complaints within 24hrs.
- Social media platforms will need voluntary verification of users.
- Social media platforms when asked by the govt will have to disclose the originator of any mischief or any post that may hurt India’s sentiments.
- Monthly compliance reports have to be filed by all social media platforms
- Content that may carry nude images of morphed pictures of women will be removed within 24hrs.
- The OTT platforms are to monitor 13+ 16+ and A-rated content
- The government is directly going to be involved in certain cases where they feel the need to intervene.
- OTT platforms like Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc will also have a grievance officer to look after all the reports of the content.
A lot of ministers will be involved in handling the new changes that are coming up, many people think this is going to be a breach of our right to speech. A lot of people are standing against these changes that are being made by the government for the OTT platforms.
Do let us know what you think about the new guidelines, do you think this is an attack on your personal right to live in the world’s largest democracy?